The Sad Ballad of the Empty Sleeves

Queen - The GameHow does this happen? Is it just me? Is it a cruel joke played on all of us crate diggers by the Goodwill employees? Most recently it was a copy of Queen‘s The Game, a record I knew from many years ago but never owned. Damn, I was excited when I found it… In a newly donated box of LPs, just brought out from the back of the store and plopped down in front of me, no less. But as soon as I picked up the record I knew– it felt just a little too light. NO record inside. Agh! Before that it was a Nat King Cole record, and before that a Beatles LP (Let It Be, I think). There have been so many others, but I’ve tried to forget about them. And it’s always the best records too, the ones I get really psyched about when I see them. When there’s no music inside I’m just left thinking of what might have been…

Thrift store gods, please smile upon me when I visit a new Goodwill tomorrow.

Posted in Record Collecting Humor, Record Finds | Tagged as: , , | 8 Comments

8 Responses to The Sad Ballad of the Empty Sleeves

1. plumnbagel says:

This happens to me all the time all the time too, and I always wonder how it comes to be that, as you say, the stuff you want is always the empty sleeve.

• Tim says:

No kidding, huh? Where do those records go? I guess it’s hard for me to understand how a record can just disappear…especially because I’m such a nerd when it comes to taking care of my own records.

2. Hey man, I have this one if you want it.

3. Colin says:

This happened to me twice on the same day with the SAME record. Rolling Stones “Got Live if You Want It”. Two different Goodwills had the same empty sleeve! One even still had the inner sleeve. Nice blog by the way!

• Tim says:

Wow, talk about bad luck… 🙁 In a perfect world, one would have had the sleeve and the other would have had the record!

Thanks for your comment!

4. Lisa Sumner says:

Oh this happens to me all the time too, aint it the worst?? I’ll never forget the time I found a copy of the Sesame Street Monsters album, only to find it empty. I’m double kicking myself for not buying the cover anyway, cuz it was in great shape. Sigh….we live and learn. Great blog!

5. Kurt says:

I notice it’s always a desirable title – most recently, Uprising by Bob Marley. Sad to say, but I think there are some customers who are so cheap that they slip the record into another sleeve to get two records for 99 cents.